Sunday, August 16, 2009

A Christmas Story I started a few years ago, I need to complete

As I stood there in my kitchen, gazing at the frosted landscape through a slightly frozen window. I wondered what sort of Christmas Cheer fate had prepared for me. It was a new day, it was a day to celebrate, it was Christmas morning.


I took a minute to ponder as the local news channel played in the background. I thought about the meaning of Christmas from my perspective.


Then, I thought of the American troops serving our country overseas. The men and women who will miss a day of family gatherings, home cooked meals, presents, relaxation, and love.


In a split second, I began to question myself about the families affected by Hurricane Katrina in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama. How could they find the joy to celebrate this cool winter day. How? One of the cities I visited shortly after the storm, was brimming with destruction and mourning. I felt the pain and grief forced upon the local residents. A life altering event that would change some peoples lives forever. A storm that brought memories of total devastation to every life in its path.


What about those who never had anything to begin with? What significance would a day, reminiscent of this be to the average man or woman sleeping in an alley, city park, or bus station? How do they find any happiness in life, while dealing with the uncertainty of days to come. Where will I sleep tonight, will I be hungry, or will I be cold?


I could not forget the single parents struggling to provide for themselves and their children. What does a mother tell a child when Santa does not come as society prefabricates? How will a well behaved child respond to the emptiness found under the tree again this year. “If you are a good boy, Santa will bring you lots of toys this year.” Echoes in the child’s mind. A day of expectations, so highly anticipated, seems now as if there was no meaning.


To be continued………….
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment