Thursday, July 7, 2011

Tips for washing feet.

When was the last time you washed someones feet?

Today I wanted to talk about our roles as men. Christian men within the Church.

I believe as men we're to look at the example we've been given in Jesus. I think if we're going to believe in Christ and profess a relationship with him, then we need to constantly strive to be like him.

I am sure most all of you have heard the phrase, "Lead by Example". Jesus did just that, he lead by example. This being said.

I'll read to you MARK 10:45 "For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many."

One of the most familiar stories of Jesus serving others is found in John chapter 13 where Jesus washed the feet of the 12 disciples.

The night he was betrayed, literally hours from the cross, Jesus took the place of a servant, and not just any servant. The foot washing was usually performed by the lowest of the low.

Then Jesus gave us the instruction that: "If I then, the Lord and the Teacher, washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. "For I gave you an example that you also should do as I did to you".

If that wasn't enough, look at it this way. It's a principle where, if something is true for a greater, how much more is it true for a lesser.

Here's what I mean by that: If Bill Gates uses virus protection on his personal computer, how much more should we? Or, If Steven Segal locks his door at night, how much more should we?

Jesus came not to be served, though he was worthy, he came and served. Shouldn't we?

A mature believer is involved at church and at home. You've got to serve. If you look at your life and can't really point out where your serving the Kingdom, then I just don't know.

And, I know we're all busy. Sometimes it can be real inconvenient. Guess what, I am sure the cross was inconvenient.

If we look at the opportunities to serve and only do what is easy and convenient, what makes us any different from the rest of the world?

We've got to do what needs to be done. There's an old saying that 20% of the people in the body do 80% of the work. Imagine what we could accomplish for the Kingdom if 100% of the people got involved.

I am realistic and know that we'll never have 100% participation, but ask yourself, if I don't serve, who will? We're disciples and servants. It's what we're told to do.

If you feel like you can't because your schedule is too full, can I challenge you to move some things around. Maybe re-prioritize. Just ask yourself, is this more important than the body of Christ or the Kingdom?

I'd like to see us reaching out to all the men in our lives. As a church, we're scattered all over and sometimes disconnected. We can fix that.

I'd love to see us getting together more often, building a strong men's ministry, and serving together so that we can strengthen each other spiritually and hold one another accountable.

There are ton's of opportunities to serve. Are you ready?

No comments:

Post a Comment